About the In It Together Health Literacy Project
Helping Individuals and Organizations to Develop Health Literacy Skills and Deliver Health Literate Services
The In It Together Health Literacy Project is a training initiative designed to help health professionals incorporate health literacy approaches and strategies into the services they provide, with the goal of improving engagement and retention in HIV care and treatment.
In It Together trains community members from communities highly affected by HIV to become health literacy trainers. Community members participate in an online health literacy Training-of-Trainers. Then, the In It Together trainers provide in-person training to individual health professionals and health care organizations that serve people living with HIV.
There are two In It Together community trainings:
- Improving Health Literacy for All: Designed for health professionals serving a diverse spectrum of people living with HIV
- Improving Health Literacy for Black MSM: Designed for health professionals serving Black/African American gay, bisexual, same-gender-loving men, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)
Become a Health Literacy Trainer
We are now recruiting community trainers for our new In It Together: Health Literacy for All training-of-trainers, which will take place October 15-22, 2018. To become a trainer, first complete the Trainer Application.
Selected trainers will:
- Participate in six training-of-trainer sessions (October 15-22)
- Provide the 1-hour In It Together for All Community Training to health care professionals in their community
- Receive compensation for delivering the Community Training
We are looking for people that:
- Have prior experience training health professionals
- Are comfortable talking about HIV, sexuality, culture, social determinants of health, and stigma
- Have great relationships with health care organizations in their community
- Want to build their own capacity to deliver health literate care services
- Live in one of the selected communities of focus
What will I learn from the In It Together trainings?
In It Together trainings emphasize health literacy approaches and strategies that can be used by health professionals to clearly communicate to clients the importance of engagement and retention in HIV care and treatment.
- The 10 hour Training of Trainers (ToT) curriculum addresses many situations or conditions where individual or organizational action can improve clients’ understanding and build the health literacy of people living with HIV. The training explores topics such as: social determinants of health, stigma and discrimination, attributes of health literate organizations, verbal communication, written materials, and approaches to confirm understanding.
- The 1 hour Community Training is designed to help health professionals understand how limited health literacy affects the health of their clients. This training helps health professionals to recognize indications that their clients are experiencing limited health literacy, apply health literate approaches to improve their communication with their clients, and identify steps their organization can take to promote health literacy and delivery of health literate HIV services. Health professionals can also use any of the six modules in the Training of Trainers curriculum to gain deeper understanding of specific aspects of health literate HIV care.
Where are In It Together trainings being offered?
- AL (Birmingham)
- AR (Little Rock, West Memphis)
- CA (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland)
- CT (Hartford)
- DC (Washington)
- FL (Miami)
- GA (Atlanta)
- IL (Chicago)
- IN (Indianapolis)
- LA (Baton Rouge, New Orleans)
- MD (Baltimore)
- MI (Detroit)
- MN (Minneapolis)
- MO (Kansas City, St. Louis)
- MS (Jackson, Delta Region)
- NC (Charlotte, Raleigh)
- NJ (Jersey City, Newark)
- NY (New York City)
- OH (Cleveland)
- PA (Philadelphia)
- SC (Columbia)
- TN (Memphis)
- TX (Houston)
- VA (Norfolk, Richmond)
- WI (Milwaukee)
What if there isn't a trainer in my community?
Contact us by using the Request a Training form. Many of our trainers are mobile, so we may have a trainer coming to your area soon. Or, you can consider becoming a trainer for your community!
All the In It Together: Improving Health Literacy for Black MSM training material is available on this site for any individual or organization to download and use.
The In It Together: Improving Health Literacy for All training material is coming soon.
Does In It Together offer anything besides training?
Yes. In It Together provides downloadable brochures and posters designed to encourage health literate conversations between health professionals and people living with HIV.
The health literacy resource guide provides a curated overview of health literacy resources, organizational assessments, client assessments, and toolkits that your HIV program can use to begin or enhance efforts to provide services that meet the needs of clients with limited health literacy.